Top 10

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Living in a bottle...

Bottling day finally arrived! As I sanitized my bottles and set up the priming sugar (that is what is used to get the yeast to off gas carbon dioxide for carbonation), I realized something. I got my siphon ready to extract beer from the carboy, I noticed a lot of stuff floating around. Then it hit me! I never racked my beer. Racking is the process of transferring beer into another carboy to get the sediment out (ie: left over hops, malt, barley) that was left over from the brew process. So my beer turned out unfiltered. That's ok I guess. I took a sample of the beer and measured the gravity. By my calculations it is a respectable 6.8% ABV. I tasted the sample and found a surprising floral hop taste (from the dry hopping I did). So by next Tuesday I will open my first bottle. I will let you know how it all played out! Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment