Top 10

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Beer Ed. 101

My beer awakening happened in 2000. Sure, I had worked at Firestone Brewery in 1997-1999. My real beer education happened when I went to Europe. I had the opportunity to go to Belgium, it was like going to a grown kids Chuck-E-Cheese. My first day in Brussels (the center of Belgium) I had a few (true pints) of Hoegaarden. My walk back to the hotel was an interesting one! Ya see, I was used to no flavor and lower alcohol content of American beer. I could not believe my whole world was spinning after two pints! While adventuring around Belgium, I had the chance to experience Hoegaarden and Duvel Abby Breweries. My whole beer world was rocked! I had no idea beer could be so complex and wonderful! Just seeing how the Trappist Monks put their whole lifestyle and passion into a beer, made me wonder what beer is all about. Ever since that trip, I have a drive to find breweries in the U.S.A. that have that same passion. I guess you could call my trip an awaking. Thank God America stood up and demanded better beer. I keep seeing that same ideology in the micro breweries, that have started up in the last 10 years, as I did in Belgium. So support you local breweries and take a trip to Belgium! - Cheers  

1 comment:

  1. Hey Hophead! I love your "beer passion". Let me know if you can make an organic beer. Also I know a great photographer who can shoot some beer photos for your next newsletter without soda bottles in the shot! HA!. I think you know her too. Her name is ANNA! When you follow your passion -life's on fire! ~ Momma Asmus

    ReplyDelete